Are you wondering what a Rooms Division Manager Does and what his responsibilities are?
Here is What to Expect as a Rooms Division Manager
When you entertain the thought of working your way into a rooms division manager position for any hotel, you need to be aware of what types of duties are expected of such a person. Not only is the rooms division manager responsible to see to the comfort and safety of every guest that visits the hotel, he is also responsible to hire competent staff and make sure they are trained to care for the guests in the way that is expected.
This position requires a high degree of initiative on the part of the person holding it, as well as dedication to the company and efficiency with leading the staff. In this position, your duties would include working closely with executive housekeeping and the front office throughout the day to ensure the hotel guests are well cared for, as well as resolving any customer complaints that may arise. The Rooms Division Manager also manages the 24/7 operations of the front desk, reservations, concierge, the phones and the night managers.
It is solely the Rooms Division Managers responsible to spot check rooms to verify the hotels standards are being met, authorize the schedules for the entire staff, manage the expenditures and budgets to make sure they are being maintained. This person will attend daily meetings with their supervisor, which is usually the general manager or a deputy manager, as well as assist with sales and marketing for the hotel. The day to day operations of the hotel rest squarely on the Rooms Division Managers shoulders.
Some tips on how to gain access to this position are:
- Start on the ground floor and work your way up to the position through experience.
- Check with local hotel chains to see if or when they have any internships or apprenticeship programs available for the position.
- Speak with some Rooms Division Managers to get their advice on how you should proceed to get into the position.
- Develop strong organizational and time management skills. Hone these skills as you work your way up.
- Attend functions for hotel and lodging associations to network yourself. Be sure to make contacts in the industry so that you can be informed when these positions becomes available.
- Keep your eyes on the job boards. When a position becomes available, be ready to apply for it.
The position of Rooms Division Manager is one of utmost importance for a hotel. It includes a major portion of the functioning of the hotel. You will need to possess strong management and leadership capabilities to function well in this position. Excellent organizational and time management skills are important to the person who holds this position. Having superb interpersonal skills such as oral and written communications are key. The ideal person for this job will have a degree in hotel management or business, or several years of experience in the industry.
Latest posts by P. Butterworth (see all)
- What does an Executive Chef do and his or her responsibilities - April 16, 2014
- What does a Rooms Division Manager do and his responsibilities - March 4, 2014